In a bid to fight against Amazon’s retail dominance, Nordstrom is trying a new strategy it calls Nordstrom Local. The strategy will employ small stores, only 2% the size of its average property. The small stores will be service focused, with no dedicated inventory. Instead shoppers will be able to have merchandise brought to the store for them to try and can buy online and pick up there in the store the same day. The small stores will also offer personal stylists, alterations and tailoring, Trunk Club services and more. A statement from Nordstrom reports:
The full list of services available at Nordstrom Local includes:
- Personal Stylists – Fast, fun, free – and zero pressure. A Nordstrom Personal Stylist can help customers with everything from a little fashion advice to a whole new wardrobe to finding the perfect gift at any budget. Customers can make an appointment with a stylist online, over the phone or in-person.
- Buy Online, Pick-Up In-Store – Customers can shop Nordstrom.com and pick up their purchases at Nordstrom Local on the same day, if ordered before 2pm.
- Onsite Alterations & Tailoring – Customers can get professional alterations and tailoring at Nordstrom Local. On-site tailors will assure that any garment fits perfectly, from a simple jeans hem to a meticulously tailored suit.
- Same-Day Delivery – Available for completed alterations or purchases, and delivered directly to a customer’s home on the same day, if ordered by 2pm.
- Curbside Pickup – Alterations and Buy Online, Pick-Up In-Store orders can be hand-delivered to a customer’s car via Nordstrom Local’s Curbside Pickup.
- Trunk Club & Trunk Club Custom – Another convenient location for customers to meet a Trunk Club Stylist or pick up or return a trunk. The Nordstrom team of expert tailors will help customers select the right fabrics or create a Trunk Club Custom garment that suits them perfectly from workweek to weekend.
- Nordstrom Gift Card – Nordstrom donates 1% of all Gift Card sales to nonprofits in local communities.
- Style Boards – Nordstrom Style Boards is a new salesperson tool that allows salespeople and Personal Stylists to create digital boards filled with personalized fashion recommendations, like a summer vacation or wedding, which customers can view on their phone and purchase directly through Nordstrom.com. In addition to fashion recommendations, customers can get the expert advice of a salesperson or Personal Stylist by having a conversation with them through the app.
- Nail Services – Nordstrom Local offers eight different manicure services to help customers complete the perfect look.
- Easy Returns – Customers can make returns at Nordstrom Local from Nordstrom stores, Nordstrom.com, and Trunk Club.
- On-Site Refreshments – Nordstrom Local will serve a full beverage menu including California-sourced beer and wine, cold-pressed juices from Pressed Juicery, and handcrafted espresso drinks from our Nordstrom Ebar.
Read more here.
Jeremy Jones, CFA
Latest posts by Jeremy Jones, CFA (see all)
- China Started the Trade War - March 23, 2018
- How to Win in Retail? Unique Products - March 22, 2018
- World’s Largest Fund Manager Bets Big on Algorithms - March 21, 2018