IBM has rolled out a new service called IBM Blockchain World Wire that hopes to optimize and accelerate foreign currency exchange. Rachel Wolfson reports on the new service at Forbes, writing:
IBM is paving the way for banks and other regulated financial institutions to join the blockchain revolution. Rather than going through a series of intermediaries when sending money across borders, IBM has created a real-time, global payments network to support cross-border transactions and foreign exchange in more than 50 countries using digital assets, also known as cryptocurrencies or “stable coins.”
IBM Blockchain World Wire will help financial institutions improve the services they deliver to their consumers by optimizing and accelerating foreign exchange, cross border payments and remittances. Using the Stellar protocol, World Wire serves as a network provider for international payments, enabling point-to-point money transfers in lieu of the complexities of conventional correspondent banking. While IBM announced an initial pilot of World Wire in October 2017, today the network is officially accessible in a growing number of markets.
“We’ve created a new type of payment network designed to accelerate remittances and transform cross-border payments to facilitate the movement of money in countries that need it most,” said Marie Wieck, General Manager, IBM Blockchain. “By creating a network where financial institutions support multiple digital assets, we expect to spur innovation and improve financial inclusion worldwide.”
Read more here.
Learn more about Blockchain here:
- Will the Dow’s Mega-Companies Use Blockchain to Change the World?
- The Big Implications of Blockchain
- Can Blockchain Survive Crypto-Mania?
- Emergency Cash: Bitcoin or Dollars?
- Cryptocosm and Life After Google
Originally posted on Your Survival Guy.
Latest posts by E.J. Smith (see all)
- United Technologies Flees Connecticut’s Poor Management for Massachusetts - June 19, 2019
- June RAGE Gauge: Gold Shines as Investors Seek Safe Haven - June 18, 2019
- Retirement is No Fun if You’re Scared, Sick, or Broke - June 17, 2019